What is the truth about the candle color and meaning of Black?
It is so weird how we accept definitions to words given to us without any question. Where did our natural ability to question go? What happened to the inner perceptions of what things truly mean? Let’s take the color black for instance. The color black is void of all color. It absorbs light and it is a color that belongs to the vibration of Earth – the deepest recesses. It is a color that can absorb all energies both positive and negative. In many native american tribes the color black stands for stability, firmness, and symbol of victory. In other places black is perceived as confidence, power, and strength.
Black the darkness, the greatest mystery – the unknown. Too bad we cannot see the hidden workings; darkness is where germination begins. Darkness – the blackness is how light emerges. You were born in a state of darkness – the blackness of the womb. How can this be bad? Things are created in the dark. The darkness is where we go to find the truth – the answers that are not available in the light. Hiding in the dark is where you have your greatest advantage – the security of the dark brings comfort. You emerge from the darkness into the light when it is safe to do so. Black is the subconscious. When you want to know what lies in the deepest recesses of the mind or spirit, remember that black is the color that can take you there. To see what is hidden, let black take you in. If you want to protect yourself, let black provide the perfect cover. It is true that bad things hide in the dark but there are multitudes a great and good things that also live in blackness waiting to be discovered.
Black by nature absorbs. With this quality you can let go of all you want to get rid of. In the darkness, you strengthen all your other senses. If you take the light away – you are forced to trust yourself. Use black for ultimate stability and self control. It is extremely grounding. As black can create fear it can also diminish it. Black is power and extremely beautiful.
The color black in ritual or candle work is the most controversial color of all which is interesting do to the fact that many people are addicted to wearing the color. However, it can absorb energies around you that can be potentially harmful. For instance, a person who is operating from low energy, sadness, melancholy, or depression should not wear black because it will amplify the already bad feelings. On the positive side, the color can make people appear smaller and streamlined. It can hide unsightly things. It is considered a sheik and mystifying color. There is no fear in wearing black but when it comes to spiritual work many people are afraid of the color. The color black in rituals or candle magick has been wrongfully stigmatized. Yes, there is a negative side to the color black but there is a world of positive waiting to be discovered. What is also interesting and a point that is often left out is that all colors have a positive and negative side.
Black is a color that has been defined to be synonymous with darkness, dirty, sad, depressing, somber, mournful, death, disastrous, calamity, sinful, inhuman, fiendish, devilish, infernal, monstrous; atrocious, horrible; nefarious, treacherous, traitorous, villainous. The opposite is considered white, clean, or happy.
In candle and ritual work, the color black is a misunderstood color. “Black is void of all coloring, therefore it does not radiate or emit any vibrations of its own at all!” It only releases that which has been placed upon it. For example, a black candle is not evil unless you charge it with evil intentions. This is why people fear it so. However, if you charge a black candle with good intentions then that is what it will release, good intentions. It is a receptive color, it pulls inward. Another example, a person who is depressed and wears black will only get more depressed because the color itself will absorb similar negative energies to it and will attract more of the same from the environment around them. We already know many negative uses of how people use black candles in witchcraft, to cause harm and destruction, instead I would like to look at the positive uses and characteristics of the color black in ritual work:
• Use black for deep meditation
• Use for protection
• Use to banish evil or negativity
• Use to trap negativity thought forms coming from others
• It can represent the deepest levels of the unconscious.
• Use to get rid of nasty habits
• Black symbolizes the light coming out of dark
• Use for serious cleansing of the mind and heart or spiritual issues
• Use when you need a miracle
• Use black to reveal hidden enemies, plots, or tricks
• Use to reverse a situation from bad to good
• Use if you feel blocked (ex. If you feel your money blocked burn black to remove the blockage and to open the way)
• As an Earth element, you can burn a black candle the same way you burn a brown candle except the vibrations of black run much deeper.
• Black can be used for protection, binding negative forces, and breaking up obstacles and blockages. Black can also be used to reverse and break up negative thought forms. Black absorbs, conceals, or can create confusion and chaos. It is used for new beginnings or used to obtain knowledge of hidden things. Black is the container of light, and is one of the most powerful of colors. Black influences self-control, endurance, patience, grounding, and stability.
So here you have it. I hope that I have given you a new appreciation for the color Black, its meaning, and its power.